The cat in dreams is a symbol that can have various meanings, both positive and negative. In fact, this animal is rather elusive and mysterious: wary, sly, ironic, it looks at everything with the detachment of those who know they are self-sufficient. However, he is not a selfish animal, because he knows how to give much affection, but only to those who want him, and when he decides.
He is curious, playful, sometimes buff, elegant, a lover of pleasure, comfort and cleanliness. The cat is a philosopher animal: he seems to have understood everything about life, and knows how to enjoy it.
Cats were worshiped as sacred animals in ancient Egypt (cult of the goddess Bastet), while starting in the Middle Ages, they were considered satanic animals, friends of witches, and as such persecuted, especially black ones. The superstition that black cats would bring bad luck is still widespread today.
If you dream of a cat, the correct interpretation also depends on whether or not you are a cat lover. If you are not, this animal in your dreams probably has a negative function.
Meaning of the cat in dreams
- Femininity: the cat, a mysterious and elegant animal, was associated in ancient times with the cult of female divinities. In dreams it can represent the concept you have of femininity in general, or a very specific woman. According to the Freudian interpretation, the cat in dreams can represent female sexuality perceived as dangerous and castrating for man.
- Sensuality, seduction: the cat is a sinuous animal in movement, sensitive, loves contact, likes to be caressed, and makes you understand it by purring a lot. In dreams it can really represent sexual energy.
- Independence, power: the cat is a self-sufficient animal, it loves to be on its own, and always chooses in total autonomy.
- Intuition, creativity, mystery: because of the fact of seeing even in the dark and of loving the night, the cat is considered an animal in contact with the world of the unconscious and with the most mysterious forces and nature. Dreaming of a cat can be an invitation to listen to your instinctive and intuitive part. This can happen especially to women; in fact, women in modern society often have to sacrifice their feminine instincts to adapt to a world thought of as masculine and governed by rationality; the cat appears in their dreams, especially in certain periods of life, such as pregnancy, to remind them of the need to reconnect with their own profound feminine instinct.
- Malice, deception, deception, fiction: the cat is often seen as a cunning and mischievous animal, able to dissemble and tease; as such it appears in many fables (as in that in which he pretended to be dead to catch mice more easily).
Dreaming black, white, gray cat
- Black cat in dreams could be associated with your need for independence and rebellion against too stifling impositions. Or the black color could emphasize the connection with the mystery and the unconscious, and therefore be an invitation to open up to this dimension, to trust your instinct more.
- White cat: innocence, purity, tenderness, novelty. Maybe something new is happening in your life, and you feel a little helpless.
- Gray cat: gray is a neutral color that generally represents detachment and attenuation. A gray or brindle cat, however, is a good omen because it usually conveys wisdom and tranquility.
- Red cat: The red color can emphasize the sensuality expressed by this animal in the dream, or it can represent your desire for freedom and autonomy.
Dreaming cat that bites, that scratches, aggressive
Dreaming of an aggressive cat that bites, scratches, blows, can be an image of an aggressive, voracious, selfish (or perceived as such) femininity: Being afraid of a cat that jumps at you furiously perhaps indicates there is some an aspect of femininity that scares you, or perhaps you have not had easy relationships with the female sex.
Dreaming of a wild cat, which attacks you, angry, or almost as if it had gone mad or possessed can also be a means to make you understand that you absolutely have to listen to your instinctive part, because you have neglected it too much.
Dreaming of a wounded, sick cat
Attention, dreaming of a wounded, sick, run-down cat can indicate that you are going through a period of inner malaise: wounds, disappointments, negative moods can cause dreams in which the cat appears in poor physical condition; for example: a stray cat, without hair, mangy, with fleas and ticks, lame, etc. It can also indicate a period of weakness (physical, moral, spiritual …), loss of autonomy, lack of creativity.
If in your dream you see a tortured, poisoned, mutilated (without tail, without legs) cat, hanged or drowned it indicates that you need more freedom, you feel mortified and dejected.
Dreaming cat that meows, that cries, that speaks
The cat that meows wants to draw your attention: perhaps it is an invitation to listen to what your intuition is trying to tell you for some time; let this ‘voice’ talk to you more. The cat that speaks with a human voice is surely transmitting an important message; even if the meaning is not clear to you now, in the future you will understand it.
Dreaming dead cat
Dreaming of killing a cat may indicate that you dislike your female side, or female sexuality, because it scares you and you feel threatened by it. If you dream of a dead cat, this may indicate that you feel limited and oppressed, you need autonomy and independence. The same applies if the cat was killed, run over, or fell off the balcony.
Other dreams of cats:
- Annoying, spiteful cat: you don’t have much feeling with him and with what he represents.
- big, giant, huge cat: what it represents in the dream is very important.
- cat entering the house: sudden burst of your instincts.
- cat that eats a mouse: it is usually interpreted as malice, deception against someone. But it could also be auspicious to catch a prey.
cats that fight (with other cats, with a dog.): conflicting aspects.
- two-headed cat: ambivalent attitudes.
- cat without tail: castration, loss of power.
- deformed cat: little balance in your way of relating to the feminine and to instinct