The system of classical western astrology is based on the observation of the stars and the application of statistics; it is organized around the Sun and attributes specific characters and qualities to the planets.
It develops according to the tropical zodiac: the signs of the zodiac are an arbitrary division of the zodiacal belt of the constellations, through which the planets pass.
They are images of time, and / or ecliptic arcs, counted from the Aries point and all having an amplitude equal to 30` of longitude. They are therefore a representation of solar time, seasons and life cycles of nature.
The zodiacal sign of a person is therefore determined by the position of the Sun according to the time, date and place of birth.
The horoscope does not reflect the true celestial planetary position as it adapts to the seasons: today, signs and constellations no longer have their coincidence, due to the precession of the equinoxes.
The temporal sequence of the 12 zodiac signs, originates from the intersection between the 4 elements and the 3 types, and is shown below.
Aries: March 21 – April 20
Taurus: April 21 – May 20
Gemini: May 21 – June 21
Cancer: June 22 – July 22
Leo: July 23 – August 23
Virgo: August 24 – September 22
Libra: September 23 – October 22
Scorpio: October 23 – November 22
Sagittarius: November 23 – December 21
Capricorn: December 22 – January 20
Aquarius: January 21 – February 19
Pisces: February 20 – March 20
The zodiac signs can be grouped in different forms according to their main element:
- Signs of fire: the element represents desire and creative energy: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius.
- Air signs: the element represents the communicative ability: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius.
- Earth signs: the element represents material resources: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn.
- Water signs: the element represents feelings and imagination: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces.
The zodiac signs can be grouped in different forms according to their main season:
- Signs of Spring: Aries, Taurus, Gemini
- Signs of Summer: Cancer, Leo, Virgo
- Signs of Autumn: Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius
- Signs of Winter: Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces
The zodiac signs can be grouped in different forms according to their type:
- Cardinal signs, associated with initiative and creativity: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn (beginning of the season).
- Still signs associated with stability and determination: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius (middle of the season).
- Movable signs associated with ingenuity and adaptation: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces (end of season)